Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pamcakes (AKA Shrove Tuesday)

I had a post written about Shrove Tuesday and pancakes and how it was a distinctly British custom when I had the good sense to ask my mother whether she knew about 'pancake Tuesday.' Turns out yes, she did, and in fact it is celebrated in many places in America with large Catholic and Anglican populations.

I was raised Catholic - and I mean, went to church every Sunday and went to CCD and everything until I moved out - and I somehow had no knowledge of Shrove Tuesday. I knew about Mardi Gras of course, but not a day where you pour your leftover butter and eggs into pancake batter to make pancakes.

So anyway, I celebrated Shrove Tuesday today by going to McDonald's and eating some pancakes for breakfast. I need to apologize to my UK-based readers: sorry guys, but most of the pancakes here are not up to this American's snuff. Pancakes should be massive, the size of your head if possible, and a half-inch thick at minimum. They should be drowning in real maple syrup and have a light coating of butter on each 'cake.

What you guys have - and I respect this - is closer to a crepe. That's fine, it's just that we don't see eye-to-eye on this particular issue.

Someday, when I want to get rich, I'm going open an IHOP branch here in London.

Oh yeah: I'm giving up something for Lent, but I'm not going to tell you what it is in case I crash and burn miserably.

2 comments:

glen_smith said...

O.K., Lent's been chugging along for 10 days now. You going to say what you gave up??

:D

Jason said...

I tried to give up alcohol but it didn't work, mostly because so much of my work revolves around being at social events with booze. But I've cut WAY back on it, so I'll call that a victory.

Except for last Thursday, I'm pretty sure that was a free day and didn't count. ;)