Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A German Diversion


Bier
Bier ist Gut
It was kind of last-minute, but my company ended up sending me to Germany during the first part of this week for a Digital conference, which turned out to be really kickass. But the best part was - it was in Germany! I got to practice my German a little, which I would wager I still know just as much of as I did the last time I was there, and was actually complimented - twice - on speaking German by the locals. I guess they're used to people speaking English and not even trying, so I'm glad I at least made the effort. Only a couple of times could I not at least make myself understood and I asked before switching to English anyway. Kinda cool.

Hamburg was unseasonably warm, and I spent most of Sunday afternoon wandering around without a jacket and enjoying the awesome weather. Sunday evening landed us in a restaurant where I enjoyed the above beer, which was like every good Bock/Amber I've ever had all rolled into one. And compared to London prices, unbelievably cheap. I can't wait to go to Prague in two weeks!

I didn't get to see a whole lot more since I was in a conference room most of the time, but we did manage to hit a club on the 20th floor of a building by the harbor which afforded some awesome views of the Elbe river, the ships, all veiled by a cool winter fog. Flickr stream here.

No comments: