Thursday, October 11, 2007

Getting Ready to Move

Hopefully I'll look back on this post one day and laugh, because it's not all that funny right now.

Preparations for the move are actually going well. Current things in flux are: my job, which I should hear about tomorrow; and the house, which is going to require a few more days of work. We've got a brand-new deck we'll never use, our kitchen is a color of yellow we never would have chosen, but there's doors up and it's a matter of taking care of the little things at this point.

I'm alternating between really excited, really scared and kind of frustrated (at the amount of work and very little time in which to do it.) Seth gave us some great London books and I picked up a couple of others, so I'm reading about the city again and already planning places to go and things to see. It's going to be very different this time, not only because I'll have a job during the day but because I won't be living right in the middle of the City of London itself.

But when I sit down and really think about it, I am excited more than anything else. And every time I smash my thumb with the hammer as I'm nailing up trim around the doors, I imagine myself drinking another pint of Guinness and it's OK. Mostly.

2 comments:

Frink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frink said...

Unsolicited advice for London (all of England, I guess): Stock up on ketchup and any other spices and sauces you like here, because they're gonna be different over there. The formulas are all off, like the amounts of sugar and salt are reversed or something.