Friday, October 19, 2007

The Job Thing, By the Book


I received an email yesterday that my company has approved my transfer to our London office and the details (arrival date, pay) are being finalized so they can make me a written offer. Which is to say - that's one less thing to worry about. I have employment. I have a way into the country.

Now to get rid of the house and car.

In other news, I've been reading up on London before I go to both educate myself about the city (more) and find a focal point for my excitement. I started with Alan Moore's "From Hell" and went into Peter Ackroyd's "London: A Biography." The first is one of my favorite pieces of fiction, and I'm about a quarter of the way into the second. Ackroyd's book is great history if a little oddly arranged, but his passion for the subject matter is infectious. Incidentally, "London: A Biography" was a gift from Seth who clearly figured out my tastes in reading. Thanks Seth!

This weekend the house should be all finished and I'll be able to concentrate on selling the car, playing some video games and mapping out which pubs I'm going to try first.

1 comment:

Leah in Chicago said...

Whew! I'm so excited for you! Hadn't heard much, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Maybe we'll get a drink in London instead of in Vegas?